Pyrotechnics is the sphere for wielding pure magical energy. With Pyrotechnics, a powerful elemental attack can be unleashed, and a dark cavern can be made brightly illuminated.
All Pyrotechnic effects are formed from one of four different elements—fire, ice, electricity, or force—each of which has its own unique properties. Fire causes fire damage and can set objects aflame. Ice causes cold damage and can even freeze objects solid. Electricity causes shock damage and can stun enemies. Force is relentless in its ability to damage practically any form of material.
There are four ways to form a Pyrotechnic attack: touch, ray, ball and remote explosion. To use ray, ball or remote explosion, extra Pyrotechnics must be mixed into the effect to extend the reach (see the Range section). All forms of Pyrotechnic attack entitle each victim to a Fortitude save for half damage.
- Touch – A touch attack simply transfers the Pyrotechnic power from the mystic to the enemy’s body. The mystic must hit the enemy with a successful touch attack.
- Ray – A ray attack emits a ray from the mystic that damages an enemy upon contact. The mystic must hit the enemy with a ranged touch attack, unless Div 1 is mixed into the effect.
- Ball – A ball attack fires a ball of Pyrotechnic energy from the mystic toward an enemy or group of enemies. The ball is often targeted in a particular direction, in which case all creatures within the ball’s path are entitled to a Reflex save to dodge the attack and take no damage. Alternatively, the mystic can mix Div 1 into the effect to target the ball at a particular enemy, denying that enemy its Reflex save (although other creatures in the ball’s path each still get one).
- Remote explosion – A remote explosion attack causes a burst of Pyrotechnic energy to explode at a distance from the mystic. All creatures caught within the explosion are affected.
Note: Use the rules for area-effects listed in the Target section for the “ball” and “remote explosion” effects.
1: Form a fire, ice or electricity attack that does 1d6 damage. [Instantaneous]
+1: +1d6 damage (for mystic sorcerers, +2d6 damage)
1: Form a force attack that does 1d4 damage. [Instantaneous]
+1: +1d4 damage (for mystic sorcerers, +2d4 damage)
- The Empower Sphere (Pyrotechnics) feat upgrades force attacks from d4s to d6s.
- Spells and effects such as Shield that stop force spells like Magic Missile also work against mystic force effects.
1: Produce a glowing ball of light that illuminates an area in a 30-foot radius. [Temporary (minutes)]
+1: +30 foot radius